Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Waking Up to the City that Never Sleeps 30/4/14

The truth is, I don’t know anymore. 

During my three weeks in New York, most people have asked just one question: “Why are you there?”
   
I genuinely have no idea. I don’t know why, after 10 years living in Bath, I returned to Cardiff; nor, after 28 years living in London, I decided I had had enough. Nor why, in April 2009, I decided to move to LA. Actually, that’s a lie: I know exactly why I moved to LA. But I’ve written a book about that, so you’ll have to wait.
   
Most of the unexplained, apparent chaos in my life (though to me, it’s very ordered) can be put down to the acquisition of pine furniture. And men. It was the purchase of the small forest that first set my whole moving house ball rolling – a condition from which I was doomed never to recover. If I hadn’t bought that bloody pine furniture, I wouldn’t have had the quandary of where to put it when I broke up with Carl (who made me buy it), wouldn’t have moved it to Soho and had my heart broken by Phil, wouldn’t have moved it to Cardiff and started up with Steve, and wouldn’t still be stuck with it by myself in Cardiff over 25 years on at the age of 55, hoping that pine, like avocado-coloured bathroom suites, might make a comeback.
   
So, here I am again: despite experience, financial trauma, therapy, friends’ advice, bank managers’ warnings, in another quandary, wondering if I should move to New York. Or, rather, when my Cardiff house sells, have a place on the East Coast as well as the West.
   
I have several family members and friends who believe I am “searching” for something; I have friends who think I am nuts; I have a ton load of people in my life who wish, with all their hearts, that they could up sticks at a moment’s notice and clear off to another country with little more than a passport in their bags, as I invariably do.
   
When I was young, I constantly changed my bedroom furniture around. It was not unusual for my parents to return home after work (the days when kids could be left safely at home) to find that I had swopped the living and dining rooms around. One day, they returned home to discover the living room walls a different colour, after I discovered some paint in the garage and thought the room could do with a change of scenery.
   
No way is right; thank heavens we are all different. And maybe, at the end of the day, I just hunger for new experiences, new people, waking at dawn under a new sky (Cardiff: rain. LA: sun. New York: you just never know).
   
New York is astonishing in terms of being able to meet new people; I have never known such a friendly place. It may be because everyone is from somewhere else (I have yet to meet anyone who is from New York – they are all in LA, actually) that makes them want to talk. Singles, couples, gays, straights – everyone wants to share their story, but (and this is the major difference between East and West coasts) they want to hear yours, too.
   
Nobody in LA gives a flying fig about who you are or what you do. In five years, I can count on one hand the number of questions any stranger has asked me about my life; in New York, everyone I speak to pretty much knows within the hour the name of my first pet (George, a budgerigar, should anyone else be interested).
   
It’s what made the city transform, for me, from somewhere where initially I felt alone and overwhelmed, to a place so rich in its disparity of culture and people. And I absolutely love the 24/7 lifestyle.
   
The service, for the most part, however, is not a patch on LA, but improves considerably when you move off the well-trodden tourist traps. In those places, where one quickly becomes recognised as a local, there is always a complimentary drink; in five years, that is something that has happened to me just twice in LA, despite my having a number of regular haunts.
   
Last night, I found myself in tears as I made plans to fly back to LA, which I nevertheless continue to love. After the relative cold of New York, I will welcome the sun, and there are friends I have missed.
   
But I plan to return to the East Coast very soon and have a friend looking after two bags of groceries that I suspect I left to keep alive the notion of returning. Quite why I bought enough food to feed an army barracks for a month is anybody’s guess, but it’s still a little bit of me I left behind: some corner of a foreign field that is forever New York, New York.
   
My only thought now, as I wait to fly, is which objects the airline and airport thieves will decide to relieve me of before arriving back at my LA apartment. 

I already feel a weekend trip to the Apple Store coming on.


No comments :

Post a Comment