Thursday, February 19, 2015

Pier Pressure in Chelsea 19/2/15

Exercise and I have always made for uneasy bedfellows. 

Being very small, my schooldays were marred by always being one of the last two girls standing when teams were being picked for hockey or netball. No matter how well I did during any game – and I really did try so hard – it never changed the pecking order next time it came to choosing teams and, again, being small, I was never picked by the games teacher Mrs Davies to be team captain and pick/punish my own choices. 

Mrs Davies didn’t help in other ways, either. During one hockey game, I scored all three goals for my victorious team and was pulled aside afterwards and admonished: “It doesn’t pay to be too competitive in life.” As someone who was doubtless competing with other babies on the maternity ward to escape the womb first, this was never going to be advice I would come to heed.
   
During my youth, I was a competition ballroom dancer and, believe me, it’s tough exercise. At university I played badminton and squash and, in later life, I have walked thousands of miles in the cities I have lived in, and also joined local gyms, where I work out and swim.
   
The group classes in these gyms have never gone well. I can’t bear the people breaking wind in front of me in yoga when they are in Downward Facing Dog (what do these people eat? Frogspawn?), and, in Boxercise, I was put off during my first and only session when the punch-bags swung round on an overhead conveyor and one hit me in the face.
   
But I need exercise. I no longer feel that I have to compete in order to reach Olympic standard, but I like to compete against myself, pushing myself to the limit that is appropriate for my age.
   
To this end, I’ve been auditioning gyms in New York – Manhattan, to be precise. In LA, I was a member of Crunch in West Hollywood, where I was the Only Straight in the Gym, if not the village. The ridiculous high level of dreadful music there made workouts and sessions with my personal trainer unbearable, but as I had sessions left over when I moved, I transferred them to a NY Crunch.
   
I have discovered during the boxing part of these sessions that I pack a mean punch (non-contact with humans) and, as I love boxing (watching, too), am looking to continue this part of my cardio workout. But those training sessions end next week and, as there is no pool at Crunch, I need to move, and have narrowed my options down to three.
   
The New York Sports Club in the Crowne Plaza in Times Square is the closest to where I live, but I quickly discounted it on the grounds of its being . . . well, how do I put this politely . . . shite. A small overcrowded gym below ground level, a tiny, scruffy pool that also takes reservations from hotel guests (meaning that you have to switch lanes all the time), and I have butter dishes bigger than the changing room.
   
The Mercedes Club, a slightly longer walk away, has a 25 yard pool that is largely empty but, like the West Hollywood Crunch, has incessant bang, bang, bang music in the gym that, even when you have ear-phones on, penetrates your skull. My shower panel was hanging from the wall, a woman was singing nursery rhymes to a baby in the shower next to mine, sellotape was hanging from the labels marked “shampoo” etc., there were no bags in which to place wet swimming costumes, and loud women were making social arrangements with each other and on their cell-phones. 

Worse, the entire place has been constructed of those tiny one inch tiles that are grossly unhygienic in their grouting’s ability to capture every speck of dirt and toe of athlete’s foot. The floors were grubby, there was no one mopping up, and the highlight of the whole experience was the Mercedes House market downstairs, where I comforted myself by spending way more than a month’s membership would have cost me.
   
And so, to Chelsea Piers. It’s a 1.3 mile walk away from Hell’s Kitchen where I live (I used to walk 1.5 miles each way to one health club in LA), but if I can’t be bothered, there are buses that can drop me at the door.
   
It’s hard to know where to start with this place. It’s wonderful. Glorious. Fantastic. The stunning location on the Hudson is just the start of it. With views of the Freedom Tower, the Statue of Liberty and the Brooklyn Bridge, the feeling is one of being in a top resort. There is a large deck with sun-beds where, in the summer, you can sit at the water’s edge and dream of faraway climes. Muscle Beach in the heart of New York City.
   
The facilities are like no other. There are two running tracks, a sand volleyball court, a rock climbing wall, machines whose buttons and knobs are on a par with the excitement of Thunderbird 2 . . . I could go on.
   
And will. The pool is a 6 lane, 25 yard, mini-Olympic pool, and on my guest day I managed 40 lengths. From the Jacuzzi in the same area, I watched the sun go down over the Hudson – one of the most beautiful sunsets in the world that I also happen to see from my apartment window.
   
So, Chelsea Piers it is and, as a member of the private members’ club Soho House, I get a substantial discount that also makes CP the best value for money. There is also a skating rink next door, so expect to see me writing my next blog from traction. If I’m in a coma, you’ll know I took the boxing way too seriously.
   
A major plus is that I can also walk 10 of the 25 blocks along the High Line, the disused railway track that is now an elevated walkway, complete with greenery.
   
People say that New York is a tough place and, I imagine that if you spend your life travelling to and from work, dealing with traffic, subways and crowds, it is. For me, I have the solace of home and now the comfort of Chelsea Piers.
   
You see, Mrs Davies? It wasn’t being content to sit on the subs’ bench that got me this far.
      
  

     

No comments :

Post a Comment