Saturday, May 24, 2014

Getting My Kit Off for the Lads 24/5/14

I am allowed to run topless through New York City. 

This is possibly the single, most valuable piece of information I have gleaned after living just one week in Manhattan.
   
As someone who has never been averse to getting their tits out for the lads (okay, that was in my younger days – I found the lads became considerably less encouraging when I hit 50), I find the legal right to immodesty rather appealing.
   
The leniency in relation to body parts is, however, a smokescreen to hide a ton load of other things that you can’t do here. George, the very handsome maintenance man in my building, looked at me aghast when I asked for instructions about turning the heating on. I had left LA in temperatures of over 100 degrees, so the East Coast might as well have been Iceland. He politely explained that if the temperature rose above 55 degrees outside, it was illegal to have the boiler on; I had missed The Big Switch Off by just one day.
   
Seriously? I can’t have heating when I am cold? So much for being able to get anything you want, day or night, in the city that never sleeps.
   
The ramifications of this law, however, are as nothing compared to the alcohol laws. In California, bar staff will chop off your arm if you so much as try to touch your glass a millisecond after 2am. While the drinking laws are a lot more flexible in NWC (basically, one person will tilt your head back while the other force feeds you liquor), establishments that have a “drink in” licence can’t sell you anything to take out. How thrilled was the sales assistant in Brooklyn Kitchen at the bottom of my building filling me in on that law.
   
Everyone takes great delight in telling me what I can and cannot do; but the thing that dominates life more than anything else is the city’s emphasis on GREEN. Heaven forbid that you do something non-PC that threatens the future of mankind.
   
Now, I’m no environmentalist, but I do my bit. I contribute wine bottles for recycling and I no longer empty my bladder in public swimming pools (oh, come on – I was only four). But the obsession with saving the planet that is not going to combust for several million years after I have gone is ridiculous. I care far more about saving myself. The planet can go eff itself. It’s like that safety announcement they make on planes – “Fit your own mask before helping others”. 

Trust me. I’ll be fitting my own and diving onto that slide without a second thought for the suffocating two year old next to me.
   
I have no idea when or why NYC went so green, but I don’t like it. Take my Bosch dryer. It takes three hours to dry one sheet; in fact, given the heat, my washing dries more quickly sitting on a door handle in under an hour. When I complained, I was told that nothing can be done because it is an eco-friendly dryer. Quite when the Germans became so caring about saving anyone but themselves is beyond me.
   
Jaywalking is accepted, although discouraged, and everything comes with a warning, even more so than in LA, where people have a pathological terror of being sued.
   
Take El Colmado, the very nice tapas bar next to Brooklyn Kitchen (with so much in one spot, don’t expect to see me in civilisation ever again). I quite fancied a couple of oysters and a glass of Prosecco, but then noticed, on the menu: “Consuming raw or undercooked meats, poultry, shellfish, or eggs may increase your risk of foodborne illness.” Just the vegan Prosecco for me, then, thanks.
   
What the heck is a “foodborne” illness, anyway? And why, as a customer, do I have to take responsibility for undercooked food? Train your chefs in the art of handling the control panel on a griddle, that’ll do the trick.
   
I have, nevertheless, been doing my bit for law enforcement, with the CTC (Call The Cops) policy that fared me so well in LA. When one cab driver started to lose it with me when my card wouldn’t swipe in his machine, I threatened to CTC, and, enlisting the support of the front desk staff, saw him off.

I should tell you, by the way, that the name of my building is Gotham West, which, as a tribute to Batman’s home town, I refer to as Gotham City. Expect to see me in Gotham City prison when, inevitably, I breach one of the laws here. 

In the meantime, I’m heading for downtown Manhattan to get my kit off for the lads.

To the Batmobile, Robin!
   

No comments :

Post a Comment