Wednesday, May 28, 2014

How to Make Friends and Sack People 28/5/14

Miss Jaci. 

It has a certain ring to it. 

Memorial Day saw me acquire two new friends in Doreen and Lenny, who live in New Jersey. Doreen, originally from Georgia, is a very friendly soul who insisted on high-fiving me at the end of every sentence. I joined in because that's what I've seen them do in the movies, even though I could understand very little of what she said outside of "Miss Jaci".
   
This much I managed: married for 32 years to her husband, whom she adores, she is a Virgo (he's a Gemini) and they have a 39 year old daughter. They clearly have a very active sex life, but she is not averse to the DIY method if a man is not available (major high five!). At least, I think that was the gist of it, because when I said "Thank god for batteries!" she all but sliced my right arm off in what was more of a high five hundred, accompanied by cries of "I like you, Miss Jaci!"
   
Doreen and Lenny were in town for Fleet week, although as Doreen got into the frozen Margaritas at Mr Biggs bar in Hell's Kitchen, thoughts of the open-air museum on the banks of the Hudson seemed to fade. We did, however, talk a great deal about war and the sacrifice of young lives for what is, invariably, "just a piece of land". "Why can't we all just get on, Miss Jaci?" sighed Doreen, before launching another high five attack on the only limb I had left in working order.
   
The number of fresh-faced men in uniform in the area this week has reminded me just how young these people are: mere kids who risk their own lives to keep the rest of us safe. I used to be a pacifist who was against war of every kind; I am still a pacifist, but am also a realist who knows that the world has to be protected from lunatics for whom killing is a sport, and now, I have nothing but admiration and respect for the young men and women who do what I, sitting on my arse with a curry, a bottle of Rioja, and Suits on the telly, would never have the guts to do.
   
Doreen spoke to me movingly about the death of her mother and brother, both within a short space of time, and said that she is known as "Auntie Love" in the family, quite simply because she loves and cares for everyone.
    
As a parting shot – literally, in the guise of another frozen Margarita, and metaphorically - she warned me to stay safe. "Don't tell anyone about yourself," she warned. "Get everything you can about them, but give nothing away."
   
It's advice my grandmother once gave me - "Keep your own counsel" - and would have benefited me hugely, had I ever had the inclination to heed it.
   
But then maybe, if I had, I wouldn't be here, in another strange city, living amongst strangers and picking up aliens in bars.
   
It’s always the morning after the night before I dread when, flipping through the business cards I have acquired the night before, I discover exactly what I have been dealing with. Those people who seemed so lovely - so much so, that you decided to pay their bill - turn out to be everything you can’t abide: invariably, enthusiastic proponents of God, fairies, or things that go bump in the night.
   
It’s very easy to meet people in NYC; it really is the most friendly place I have ever been. But it’s also the place where, within a few hours, you want to get rid of the very people who, just hours ago, you were swearing undying love to.
   
That’s because one gets through so much in a very short space of time. Births, marriages, deaths, affairs, worries, mortgages, war, guns – there is absolutely nothing that people in this city will not open up about after their first sip of the many alcohol beverages they consume.
   
And yes, they do. I tell you, after LA, it’s like landing head first into a distillery with nothing but a very large straw for comfort. My building began its movie summer season last night with an open bar for residents. And I mean open. There may have been just a couple of choices of wine, but every spirit was freely available the entire night, along with boxes of sweets and four different kinds of popcorn. Heck, it was so open, a few of us forgot to watch the movie.
   
So, Fleet Week has come to an end and I am looking to the next million things it is possible to do here in any one day. The Guggenheim is hosting an Italian meal, for example, to coincide with an exhibition of Futuristic Italian art. 

My head is already full of the dozens of new friends I will have to sack following the pasta course.

Arrivederci?

You must be flamin’ joking.



  

No comments :

Post a Comment